Common Cosmetic Dental Problems
Proudly Serving Patients in Oklahoma City & nearby areas of Oklahoma
At the dental practice of Dr. Greg A. Spielmann, DDS, we believe in smiles that not only look great, but that are strong and healthy too. Dr. Spielmann and our team are proud that our patients trust us to provide customized cosmetic dental treatment plans to address their unique concerns with their smiles. To schedule a consultation with Total Health Dentistry to see how we can help you, please call our office at 405-848-7780.
Listed below are several examples of common aesthetic dental problems. But there are many more not described here. Whatever your dissatisfaction with your smile, Dr. Spielmann can help you reach your smile goals.
- Stained and Yellowed Teeth
- Crooked Teeth
- Cracked or Chipped Teeth
- Tooth Gaps or Missing Teeth
- Short or Long Teeth
- Excess Gum Tissue
- Cavities or Plaque Buildup
- Choosing Dr. Bass to Treat Cosmetic Dental Problems
- Your Dental Consultation in Oklahoma City
Stained and Yellowed Teeth
Just about everyone experiences some discoloration of their teeth. Dull, dingy teeth can easily be caused by:
- Sports drinks
- Tomato sauce
Good dental hygiene goes a long way in preventing stains, but sometimes a dental intervention is necessary to restore bright white teeth. Porcelain veneers and teeth whitening very effectively erase discoloration, for the long-term. While teeth whitening lifts and removes the stains, porcelain veneers conceal the stains and all other cosmetic flaws present.
Rarely is someone born with naturally straight teeth. Crooked teeth not only detract from the beauty of your smile, the crookedness also misaligns the way your upper and lower arches of teeth come together (called a “bad bite”).
Dr. Spielmann can help you achieve straight, aligned teeth. First, Dr. Spielmann must assess whether the misalignment of your teeth is only a cosmetic problem, or whether the misalignment is causing more significant bite problems.
The two main treatment options for creating straighter teeth at our practice are listed below.
- Porcelain veneers are sometimes referred to as “instant orthodontics” for their ability to create the appearance of straight teeth without the lengthy treatment time of traditional braces. If significant bite problems are not present, and the crookedness of the teeth is mostly cosmetic in nature, then porcelain veneers may be a great option.
- Orthodontics may be suggested for bite problems. Fortunately, there are many alternatives to metal braces available today. Dr. Spielmann provides ClearCorrect to people who are good candidates. ClearCorrect is a series of customized, clear aligners that you remove when you eat and brush your teeth. These aligners are virtually invisible when placed over your teeth, so you can continue to feel confident and self-assured throughout your orthodontic treatment.
In a consultation with Dr. Spielmann, he can determine the best way to straighten your teeth and help you choose a treatment approach that meets your expectations.
Cracked or Chipped Teeth
Cracked or chipped teeth are quite common. An injury, a fall or simply biting on a hard food can easily damage a tooth in this way. In order to recommend a tooth restoration, Dr. Spielmann must first determine the severity of the chip or crack. One of the following restorations might be the right way to rebuild the tooth:
- Dental bonding is best suited to minor chips. Dental bonding refers to applying a moldable resin and shaping it to restore the tooth’s shape. The resin is then hardened into place.
- Porcelain veneers are a versatile tooth restoration that conceals not only chips and cracks, but any other cosmetic tooth flaw, such as stains and worn edges. A veneer is a thin, natural-looking restoration placed over the surface of the tooth.
- Tooth recontouring is a simple, fast way to modify the enamel. Using a handheld instrument that gently buffs the enamel, Dr. Spielmann can essentially sand away a small, precise amount of enamel to re-shape the tooth.
- Dental crowns may be necessary if there is a large fracture or if the tooth is broken. Dental crowns hold together the fractured tooth and protect it from further damage, while also restoring an aesthetically pleasing tooth appearance.
Chipped and cracked teeth are not only functionally undesirable, but they may make you feel self-conscious about your smile. Dr. Spielmann’s cosmetic dentistry services can allow you to feel confident every time you smile.
Tooth Gaps or Missing Teeth
Some people have gaps between teeth while others are missing teeth completely. Whatever your concern, Dr. Spielmann can restore a seamless, full smile. Here are the main ways to replace missing teeth:
If you have gaps between your teeth, Dr. Spielmann may suggest one of the following:
- Tooth bonding
- Porcelain veneers
The right way to close the gap depends on the size and the cause of the space, plus your expectations of treatment and budget.
Short or Long Teeth
Teeth that appear too long or too short in comparison to your other teeth can detract from the beauty of your smile. A smile should be symmetrical and even, and Dr. Spielmann can use tooth recontouring to shape the enamel. Tooth bonding or porcelain veneers may be used to re-shape teeth that are too short.
Excess Gum Tissue
A “gummy smile” means there is an excess of gum tissue apparent when you smile. The excessive gums may also make your teeth appear shorter and smaller than they actually are. If you are unhappy with your gummy smile, Dr. Spielmann can gently vaporize some of the tissue in a gum re-contouring procedure, revealing a brighter, fuller smile.
Cavities or Plaque Buildup
Cavities and plaque/tartar build-up not only threaten the health of teeth and gums, but they can also have a negative impact on the appearance of your smile. To get rid of harmful bacteria, Dr. Spielmann uses advanced hygiene and periotherapy, a high-tech removal method that finds even the smallest areas of decay. To help restore the look and strength of teeth that have been affected by decay, we place safe, natural-looking porcelain fillings. For particularly large cavities that have caused structural damage, Dr. Spielmann may recommend dental crowns.
Choosing Dr. Spielmann to Treat Cosmetic Dental Problems
Ideally, you should choose a dentist with experience in both cosmetic and general cases. Your smile should be as beautiful as it is healthy. Your teeth and jaws should work together to provide optimum function, and your smile as a whole should make you feel confident.
Finding a dentist who is committed to creating the best smile for you is likely to lead to results you are excited about. Dr. Spielmann has many years of experience in the cosmetic field, and he is also trained and experienced in achieving proper bite mechanics and your best oral health. Dr. Terry Bass is a graduate of the prestigious Las Vegas Institute for Advanced Dental Studies, where he learned and practiced leading techniques in the field of cosmetic dentistry, under renowned experts.
Your Dental Consultation in Oklahoma City
You don’t have to live with self-conscious feelings about your smile. Dr. Spielmann can help you find the cosmetic dentistry treatment plan that will achieve your goals while meeting your expectations for budget, longevity and treatment time. To schedule your consultation in Oklahoma City, please call our experienced staff at 405-848-7780. For years we have served the dental needs of individuals and families from across the region.